Keto Snacks On the Go for Busy People

Note: I may be compensated for any purchases made through the links on this website.

As soon as I started keto, I was floored by how much prep work went into making all of my meals from scratch and tracking my macros. I think anyone starting any major lifestyle change, but especially keto, can fall deep down a rabbit hole of recipes and meal plans.

Except meal plans never work for me, because I never want to eat what the author says to eat, or I want to use what I have on hand instead.

I'll write later on how I plan my meals and how I track macros, but for now, I want to think about those crisis moments. As a full-time graduate student attending school in a town an hour from home whose days must flex to fit the lecture and practicum schedule, I absolutely have times when I need something to eat and I'm far from home.


Pecans are a great snack on the go as they are high in fat and low in carbohydrates!
People say that on keto they're constantly full from all the fats, but I don't. I get hungry just like everyone else. Although I manage my hunger with intermittent fasting and I am working to balance my meals with my appetite, I have definitely hit the wall and felt like I was starving. Fortunately, the keto hanger is nothing like carb-loaded hanger, but it's still uncomfortable. Still, keto isn't something you want to cheat on; even though I am now fat-adapted, I only eat keto foods and am not interested in fighting my way back out of the sugar slog.

My plan?


I travel with an arsenal.

I always have a small mason jar with Kiss My Keto's Keto Creamer (2 scoops) and a small sleeve of instant coffee. This helps me when I feel like my energy is sinking and I need a strong boost. I also use B-vitamins for this, too.


I almost always have a little container of macadamia nuts in my lunch box just in case. I found the best deal for macadamia nuts at Costco, so I always have them around. Macadamia nuts are probably my favorite thing to eat on keto and I feel like I'm some rich old lady snacking on them straight.

If I planned ahead, I may have a cheese stick with me or I will run into a store to buy one. I've found that the best way to tide over a wave of hunger on a budget is a cheese stick and a can of unsweetened sparkling water. Conventional cheese sticks are usually about 50 cents nd organic, if you can find them, are about $1! I won't lie - I think I had to do this 2 or 3 times this week...These two together can get me through my commute home, where I can eat a real dinner.

New to keto? Wondering if it's right for you? I've compiled lots of resources to help you learn!


Grass-fed beef sticks are great, too, and when paired with a cheese stick, they are usually pretty filling. I'm cheap so if I'm on the go and don't have any beef sticks with me (Sogo has a great student discount!) and I'm not starving, I'll just stick with the cheese stick. Always watch for sugars! Lots of preserved meats are packed with sugars.

If I'm stuck in town and need to eat, I often hit Habit Burger, a chain that's popped up in my hometown and where I go to school. They offer lettuce-wrapped burgers that are delicious and only cost a few dollars.

Homegrown arugula wishing I'd planned ahead and made my own salad


Grocery store salad bars are also a great spot, carrying lots of greens, meats, cheeses, nuts, and toppings. I was excited to see fresh blueberries at a salad bar the other night and satisfied my craving for them without splurging on a pint. I only eat where the greens look really fresh and ideally, where I can get organic greens.


Don't cheat! With keto, there is always something you can do to make it through. If it means ordering your tacos out of the shell or asking for a bunless burger, everywhere I've gone so far has been flexible. Plan ahead, take care of yourself, and keto on!

What are your low-carb travel snacks? 

Comments

Post a Comment